British Blog Tour
Okay, so I got invited by a very good writer friend Diem Burden (www.diemburden.com) to take part in the British Blog Tour and was left scratching my head. I didn’t really know what I was supposed to do apart from the obvious of answering the questions. It also gives me a reason to break away from current projects. God we all need a breather every now and then.
So here we go.
1. Where were you born and where do you live at the moment?
2. Have you always lived and worked in Britain or are you based elsewhere at the moment?
Always lived and worked in within the British temperamental climes.
3. Which is your favourite part of Britain?
History is my thing. I love it and I am so fortunate to live so close to one of the most historically rich cities in Britain. I love York and it holds my heart and soul. And yes I should work for their tourism board. 😀
4. Have you highlighted or showcased any particular part of Britain in your books? For example, a town or city; a county, a monument or some well-known place or event?
Any one whose read any of my books will see similarities to where I live. Sometimes there are subtle hints and others I blatantly say. In the Higher Trilogy I used the Abbey near me countless times and the Boleyn Effect I’m currently working on is based in York. When you’ve got it then its a crime not to use it.
5. There is an illusion – or myth if you wish – about British people that I’d like you to discuss. Many see the Brits as ‘stiff-upper lipped’. Do you think that is correct?
This is a really tough one to answer I think. I love being British, but what I do find disappointing is that we as a nation seem to be embarrassed to celebrate that fact. Of course recently we celebrated the Jubilee and the Olympics and it was great to see us flying our flag proudly, but its rarely done. We are far too reserved and reluctant to sell ourselves. This I noticed when at Uni and taking classes with an American tutor. She was enthusiastic with her compliments and encouragement and I was just as guilty for feeling uncomfortable with that. We need to learn how to proud and not ashamed to stand up and say it.
6. Do any of your characters carry the ‘stiff-upper-lip’, or are they all ‘British Bulldog’ and unique in their own way?
I think the way I write my angels is an stereo typical ‘stiff upper lip‘ manner. They have a job to do and it doesn’t matter what’s going on underneath there’s a job to be done. It’s not been a conscious thing, but now I think about it I can see the similarities. But saying that stereotypes is something I do enjoy playing with in characters.
7. Tell us about one of your recent books.
The most recent book I’ve self published is called Micka and Me. This the book where I do play with stereotypes. It’s centres around one young woman who lives in a supernatural town within the human world. I use the format of online blogging, text messages and emails to tell the story of Mina Marley and how it’s down to her to stop her town from being destroyed by both Heaven and Hell all while trying not to fall inlove with Micka. An angel sent to protect her.
It started off as just a online series with just Mina’s blogs, but now is part of a four-part series with book 3 coming out soon.
8. What are you currently working on?
I’m just finishing the last Mina Marley book and editing a brand new book called the Boleyn Effect. This is a new direction for me as there is no magic or supernatural element to it. It’s based around real people and emotions. It plays with the idea whether a woman in the now can seduce a married man using the seductions tricks that Anne Boleyn used on Henry VIII. Of course it’s going to get messy since for Anne, she eventually lost her head.
9. How do you spend your leisure time?
Well I work full time, so writing is my leisure time. That’s the long and short of it. If you’d asked if I had a life then the answer is no, but I love what I do so no complaints.
10. Do you write for a local audience or a global audience?
I just write and hope someone reads it.
11. Can you provide links to your work?
They are all my website. Click on the buttons and your there. 😀